Downgrade

Last night I downgraded from 8.1 to 8. Not because I didn't like 8.1, but because 8.1 is pre release software and hasn't worked out all the bugs, I found a fairly significant bug that affected my experience with this particular laptop - namely that it stopped shutting of the keyboard and mouse when I would flip it around. This was, as you might expect, the opposite of useful.

Now, had I still been lost in my blind following of Apple and heard of this happening, I might have blamed Windows or said it was shoddy of the manufacturer to not release drivers. There are two reasons I don't say that and don't blame anybody in this case.

The first is that I've been beta testing for Apple for a number of years and I've found in multiple instances even the great Glowing White Fruit has some impressively horrible issues during their beta phase. The second is that I've come to understand little more of how software works. It's possible that Lenovo has a driver that will fix this issue and not corrupt every couple of days, but they're not going to release it. One reason maybe that the new driver wouldn't work on a Windows 8.0 machine and another reason maybe because they don't know what changes Microsoft might make before the official release that could affect any driver they might release prior to that.

I would have continued to use 8.1 if I'd managed to figure out a way to stop that driver from corrupting, but alas, it was not to be. I don't code. I tried everything I knew - I set he driver to automatically re-launch if it crashed, I reinstalled it, I installed an older version of it.

These aren't things I'm complaining about, I rather enjoy poking away at such puzzles to see if I can find a solution, but consensus on the interwebz after my own attempts seems to be that 8.1 is currently the culprit.

I don't have to wait long for the official release and hopefully Lenovo will have updated drivers and the like available very shortly afterwards.

If anybody else is running Windows 8.1, there's a neat little trick you can try - right click on the start button on the Desktop.

I think you maybe pleasantly surprised.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Motorola Nightmare

Frustration

Real World Review of the Surface Laptop Studio