Absolute Hate

I understand absolute hate. I absolutely hated Windows for decades for various reasons before I ran my (failed) experiment. I don't hate it anymore, but I've also found that it's not for me.

That said, I'm still trying to wrap my head around why some people hate Apple so much.

So while I understand it, I still don't understand it - if that makes sense.

I can understand preferring Windows over Apple because of software titles or personalization possibilities such as skins, but I don't understand the pure hatred that's directed at them.

Back in my younger days, as a teen and young adult, I would vehemently declare my hatred toward everything Windows. I would talk about how Microsoft stole this that and the other from Apple. I got older, I read up on things and later came to the conclusion that while Microsoft may have stolen from Apple, Apple took a few things from Xerox back in the early days.

Tech companies like to steal from each other - it's how we evolve technology. The only problem is that they're all suing each other over various patents which causes innovation to actually slow down. I wonder how far ahead we'd be were it not for all these insane lawsuits.

Speaking of lawsuits, I know a number of people who are outspoken about Apple's penchant for litigation. From all the research I've done, all the corners I've looked into and all the rugs I've shaken out, Apple is involved in fewer lawsuits than any other technology company by huge numbers - I admit that I may not have all the information, but I can't imagine that the sheer gap in numbers I've found isn't somewhat accurate.

Apple tends to be involved in very public litigation - most famously with Samsung these days, but that's a back and forth between the companies. While Apple and Google might not be the best of friends anymore, neither are suing the other directly, which is interesting in and of itself.

Apple's biggest issue with lawsuits are Patent Trolls - but they're every Technology Company's nightmare.

Big companies get sued.

Big companies sue.

Microsoft, Google, Apple, Oracle, Samsung, LG, HTC... I could get into other industries, but it's pretty much the same across the board.

Right now Apple is flying high. They won't be forever, but right now they have a giant target painted on them. The suicides at the factories were big news when it was all about the Apple factories, but did you know that the same thing happened at other Foxconn plants that weren't making Apple products? It was a footnote in the news one day that nobody made a big deal about because it wasn't one of the Apple Factories.

Microsoft, Google, Apple and Samsung have all made mistakes. They'll make more. You may not like some or all of their products. We all have preferences.

Ultimately, it boils down to preference. I'm seeing more Windows users who swore they'd never use a Mac, jump ship to Apple with the advent of Windows 8. That was actually what made me want to jump ship over to Windows 8 and experiment with it.

It's ended up being Microsoft playing the ME TOO card, only this time they're late to the party with a substandard gift.

People who want to use Windows should do so. Windows, especially Windows 7 is fantastic. Windows 8 has some serious blunders in it, but hopefully by the time they reach Windows 9 they'll have ironed out all the kinks and created something truly useful for most people.

People who want to use Mac, should do that as well. Mac hardware is ranked as some of the best in the industry. You can find similar quality hardware for Windows machines, but you'll pay the same premium for that hardware that you'd pay for a Mac.

Also, PC Magazine and Slate have ranked the MacBook Pro as the best Windows Laptop on the market.

Don't hate the other side. There are good and bad to go along with both. In the end, it's your preference that will make the ultimate decision.

I was once the petulant child screaming that I didn't like my Windows before I'd had the chance to give a shot. Don't go talking about how much you hate something until you have a better understanding of it.

I can point out the flaws in Windows probably better than I can Mac because I've likely found ways to work within the bounds of those flaws - but at the same time, I've also managed to sit down with some Windows users and have them jump ship. I'm sure some have gone the other direction with other people.

There really is no need for Absolute Hate from either side.

As a side note, EVERYBODY needs to stop the patent lawsuits and start taking a good look at what can be innovated from if we all could just get along.

*Insert laugh track here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Motorola Nightmare

Frustration

Real World Review of the Surface Laptop Studio