Overly Excited

As much as I am an Apple fan, I often find myself excited by the ideas presented by other technology firms. For example, my previous post boasts the Moto X as being the best smartphone currently on the market. I continue to stand behind this claim even as I use an iPhone 6+. The technology that is included in the Moto X reminds me in many ways of the sort of direction Apple would have taken a number of years ago. At the same time, I’ve been very excited about the direction Microsoft has been taking with its Windows platform. Many people hated Windows 8, but I never did. I think it was flawed, but I think OS X is flawed as well. I think what’s coming with Windows 10 is beyond innovative and amazing and I think that its price tag is something very new for Microsoft. With the money they won’t be making off their Operating System, what revenue stream will fill that void?


Then you’ve got Hololens - their augmented reality glasses that make Google Glass look like a Gobot Compared to a Transformer - cheap and plastic. It it works the way it’s supposed to, then it’s going to be truly amazing.


What does Apple have to say about any of this? Who knows. Apple tends to be very secretive with their technology, though more and more leaks have been occuring over the past few years.


The Apple Watch was rumored for a number of years before it was finally announced, and I have no doubt that Apple spent all that time working on it. How it will compare to the Google Wear devices has yet to be experienced, but so far it looks pretty amazing in comparison. Only use can tell for certain if they cracked the wearable computing thing or not.


Ultimately, I love Apple. I have since our Apple IIe glowed green in our basement, replacing the Atari 400 we used to have. I loved our IIgs that replaced the IIe and worked happily for years until the Mac Plus, which kept me company until I received my first laptop as a Birthday Present in 1993. An Apple Powerbook 145b that I still have to this day and that still works just as well as it did out of the box. I haved owned so many Apple products in the interim that it’s impossible for me not to say I love Apple despite its flaws.


And it is flawed – but that’s not always bad. Flawed means they are always trying to find ways to improve. Flawed means things can only get better (which maybe why things with Microsoft are so appealing these days - the only thing it can do is get better).


What I’m getting around to saying is that I get overly exicted by other technologies and want to snap them up as quickly as I can, but in nearly every instance I end up back on Apple for any number of reasons.


Why don’t I have a Moto X? I’ve answered that before, but I’m going to give the answer in a slightly different way this time around… Just becuase it’s the best smartphone out there right now, that doens’t mean it’s the best smartphone for me. I wouldn’t buy the best minivan on the market if I didn’t need a minivan (which I do, actually - please gift me a late model Honda Odyssy). Just because something is the best, doens’t mean it’s what’s best for you.


For many reasons, Apple continues to be what’s best for me even if I get excited about other technology. If I had the money, I would buy three different laptops right now along with a Moto X, an HTC One (M8), A Galaxy Note, a Galaxy Tab 10.1, and a Surface Pro 3 (which might technically make four different laptops total).


If there’s one thing I’m tired of in all this, it’s the wars. Apple vs. Microsoft. Apple vs. Samsung. Apple vs. Google.


I don’t care and neither should you. Find what works best for you and go with it.


Me? I’ll continue to report on Apple stuff and show my love for a company that still manages to be the underdog even while living on the top.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Motorola Nightmare

Frustration

Real World Review of the Surface Laptop Studio