Android Again?

Some random tech thoughts...

A few times I have attempted to leave the Apple Ecosystem and I've gone back. This shouldn't say anything about the products I gave up to return to Apple - this says that I was a little out of my comfort zone and went back to what I was familiar with.

I'd like to stop doing that.

I really wanted to give up on Apple for 12 months when I started my blog, 12monthwindows.

I still do. I'm becoming less and less enamored with the company as time goes on. I stopped being a outright fanboy a few years ago, and since then I've been slowly losing my respect for them.

Now, I don't believe them to be any more evil than any other tech company - that's not why I'm starting to like them less. I think on the evil front, Samsung is probably winning that crown (if you want to call it winning), but even then, not so evil that I wouldn't purchase one of their televisions (I still don't like TouchWiz for their Android UI).

Part of it is all the hype on the Apple Watch that has me shaking my head. It's really no better than any of the Android wear devices out there and has actually gotten worse reviews than the Moto 360 and the upcoming Huawei Watch - both of which look much better than the Apple Watch and don't have $17,000 versions available.

So, here's the rub: I want to go back to Android. Specifically, I want a Moto X (I still feel this is the best smartphone on the market).

I need people to proverbially smack me when I start getting twitchy about being on Android.

There are features I am going to miss about iOS - but there are also features I miss about Android.

Things I will miss about iOS:

The ability to use the "flashlight" feature and turn off the display at the same time.

Family Sharing functionality - basically, you join people into a family and everybody can make use of everybody else's purchased apps, music, tv shows, and movies.

Find my iPhone - there are manufacturer and Google options for this, I know - but I love the interface

Being able to push text (SMS) messages to my laptop (this is possible with Motorola, but I don't know about other manufacturers - which is moot since I'd be getting a Motorola).

While Apple does tend to get some of the better games, I know that Android has some great ones (but I'm also not much of a gamer when it comes to mobile gaming).

Perhaps the biggest hurdle will be whether or not I can get this to work at work - we're a very iPhone centric organization and everybody has one and uses iMessages to keep in touch. I may have to clear this with my bosses.


Also, I need somebody to buy my 64gb iPhone 6+ in space gray before I do anything.

So, once all this is ironed out, who wants to help me break my Apple addiction?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Motorola Nightmare

Frustration

Real World Review of the Surface Laptop Studio