Google Innovation

For the first time in a long time, I'm excited about the direction mobile technology is taking. I think that the Google Pixel Phone is one of the most innovative pieces of technology to come along in a long time. While Apple touts their iPhone 7 as the best iPhone they've ever built (it is), the technology inside it is so incremental as to be nearly laughable when put next to the Google Pixel (and I say this as somebody who has used Apple almost exclusively - or gone back to Apple - since the mid 1980s).

There are many blogs who are quick to point out that the Pixel and the iPhone look very similar, but I'd like to point out that there are only so many variations on a rectangular glass brick before it starts looking like everything else. I don't care about the outside appearance as much as I care about the internal software and hardware.

It is in that arena that the Pixel far outshines Apple. Google assistant is now something that is so far beyond where Siri is (as well as Cortana, for that matter), that it makes the "original" digital assistant seem more like a talking 1980s teddybear than a useful piece of technology.

I wish that Google would just send me a Pixel XL to fawn over, but I'm not nearly established enough for that to happen - especially since it looks like I haven't updated here in over a year... oops.

What I can say is that I'm ecstatic about the direction that Google is taking now, and saddened by the decline of Apple's innovation aimed at your average consumer. Many of Apple's forward movements have been aimed at the medical and enterprise spaces, leaving something to be desired for the every day consumer. The "Simplification" of Apple software is far more frustrating than useful. I still miss features that used to be in Pages before it got switched to a simpler, easy to use format. I miss Aperture in so many different ways that I can't begin to explain it, and Photos even removed advanced features that were in iPhoto for basic sliders that give no granular control - if you want that, you need to pay more for 3rd party software and plug-ins that don't work nearly as well as Aperture did (or Lightroom does).

Google Assistant is amazing. Google Home is amazing and, yes, I want one in every room of my house.

Quick question regarding Google Home - how does a multi-user home with different accounts make use of Google Home? Can you have more than one Google Account logged into it at a time? Seems like my wife might want information geared toward her when she says "good morning."

According to The Verge this feature is coming at some unspecified time and I trust Google to deliver it.

I now find myself looking at my iPhone 6 and where I was hoping to get my hands on a 7 Plus at some point, now I want to wrap my hands around the Pixel XL and get a Daydream VR Headset to go with it.

The world just got way more interesting - I just wish I could experience it as well.

Hey, Google - would you mind sending me a Pixel XL?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Motorola Nightmare

Frustration

Real World Review of the Surface Laptop Studio