So It Begins...

All the time you hear people talking about jumping from Windows to Mac, but rarely do you hear about somebody going the other direction.

For twelve months, I will use Windows as my primary OS at home.

I remember my first computer being an Atari 400 that my parents brought home and hooked up to the TV in their bedroom. The first game I remember playing was Caverns of Mars and it was wonderful. There was also Pac-Man and a space battle game that was highly advanced for its time, but I can't remember what it was called.

After that computer came the Apple IIe and it's been Apple for me ever since, with two deviations into Windows with a home built system running Windows 98se and another home built system running Windows XP SP2. In both those instances, it was more about building the machine than about the OS. Either way, I ended up back on Apple pretty quick.

I've owned PowerBooks, MacBooks, tower system, more MacBook Pros and so forth. I won't list them all hear as the reading would get boring.

A month or two ago I decided it was time to start looking at things a little different. It's time to jump into the Windows pool and swim around and see what I really think of the OS. The only way to do that properly is to envelope myself in the ecosystem and see how I like it after really getting into it.

The only things I will use Mac for are work (I support Macs in my job and therefore have to use them on a daily basis at work) and my photography - this is mostly because I cannot afford to repurchase photography applications for Windows that I've already spent money on. However, if anybody would like to donate to me a copy of Adobe Lightroom and a copy of Photoshop CS 5 or 6, I would go 100% Windows outside of my professional life.

That said, I don't think there's much difference between Photoshop/Lightroom for the Mac vs. PC - somebody is more than welcome to correct me if I'm mistaken.

I've already sold my MacBook Pro and ordered a new Windows laptop. It's a convertible Ultrabook running windows 8 Pro with an i5, 8gigs of RAM and 256gbs of SSD Storage.

It's Ivy Bridge as opposed to Haswell, but I'm not overly concerned on that front, to be honest.

On my iMac, I'm running Windows 7 Pro (native, not through a Virtual Machine) and considering upgrading that to Windows 8 as well so I have the full desktop experience minus the touch screen, which is what most of the computers out there are running with.

So that's the scoop. For twelve months I'll run Windows and I'll blog here about my experiences. Whether I love it or hate it at the end is anybody's guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Motorola Nightmare

Frustration

Real World Review of the Surface Laptop Studio