Window 8.1 - a Vast Improvement

I had posted before about how I seem to be in the minority regarding Windows 8. I like the interface and I even like the ability to switch between a desktop and a tablet interface. This is, in my humble opinion, brilliant (though, as I discussed before, the implementation isn't perfect).

As a note, this is Beta software and therefor anything I discuss here could be changed by the time the official release is made.

Windows 8.1 fixes many of the issues it had with implementation, but creates some new ones.

My over all thoughts on these changes are positive, so I'm going to start with what I feel they've missed on.

My biggest issue out of the gate seems to be the touch pad. First of all, it feels as though it's using two different drivers. One driver is used in desktop mode, where I have no problems scrolling, and the other in the FKMI* where I scrolling has become a bit of a nightmare. If I go into the PC Settings/PC & Devices/Mouse & Touchpad, the touchpad options are all grayed out. It is for this reason that I believe there are two separate drivers at work between Desktop and FKMI.

Also, when the Yoga is flipped back into tablet mode, the touch pad no longer shuts off

With the magic that occurs behind the scenes, I've run all the software and driver updates I could find for my devices and

Please, feel free to correct me or offer a different hypothesis.

The other items aren't quite as annoying.

First of all, there is no longer photo integration between the gallery and Facebook and Flickr. They point you to native apps to handle that sort thing. Here is an instance where they've taken away functionality that Apple still has, and was doing better. They shouldn't have done that. Instead, they should have improved their method of doing that.

Secondly, the new version of IE throws tons of errors and websites are reporting that the browser isn't supported. This is especially sad for me as I absolutely love IE for FKMI.

There will be more items I'm certain, this is about 24 hours into 8.1.

Now, for the improvements that I think really tip the scales and should hopefully bring more people to love the OS.

More customization within the Start Screen! It's not much, but it's a big plus in my book. You can use the same image you're using for your desktop as the background for your start screen. Colors have a few more options which allow for a more personalized feeling within the FKMI.

Where Photo Gallery has taken away the ability to sync up with your social networks, it has added the ability to perform edits - this is simply awesome. You can adjust brightness, highlights, shadows, contrast, color saturation (though not individual colors) and more. It's fairly robust for being what it is and the touch interface for it blows away even iPhoto on the iPad (though that does have more tools available than Photo Gallery for Windows 8.1).

Of course, with Photoshop Express being free, that might just be the answer to the iPhoto question, though I've not yet given a try. I'll be sure to update when I do - it has been downloaded.

I find myself shocked with how much I've actually been liking this experience. I expected to be frustrated, annoyed and angry by this point trying to figure out how to do things I've been used to doing in a whole different OS for the last 20+ years, but I'm not. Everything has been quite simple to figure out. Though I do believe, as I've stated before, some additional tips and tricks from MS on how to make use of their new interface would be of some help.

I've spent three days trying to get this post out, so I apologize if it seems a little disjointed.

Thank you all for reading - I would love to hear your thoughts.

*Formerly Known as Metro Interface

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Motorola Nightmare

Frustration

Real World Review of the Surface Laptop Studio