Ditching the iPhone

Since 2007 I have been carting around some version of the iPhone.

Somewhere around August 7th, that won't be happening anymore. After much deliberation, window shopping, hands on testing, research, and thought I have purchased a fully customized Motorola Moto X phone. If you're interested, it's got a natural ebony back, black front and Red buttons and highlights. The screen will actually say "Welcome, Micah" whenever I turn it on.

Beyond the ability to customize the look of the device and have my name engraved on it (which is possible with the iPhone as well), Android gives me features I've been waiting for on the iPhone. While iOS 8 promises to catch up in some areas, namely the ability to swipe in text as opposed to tap typing, it's still lacking in others that I have made heavy use of in my work provided HTC One.

While I did consider the HTC One (M8), when I starting toying around with it, it had gotten too big. As much as I loved the one work provided (the M7), the increase in size made it not fit where I wanted it to fit in my technology library.

While having a phablet may work for some people, I need a distinct difference between my phone and my tablet. The fact that I hate most of the apps on Android Tablets also means I'm keeping my iPad - but hoping that either Apple or Android makes a leap forward in the technology found in tablets.

Personally, I like having a large-ish (iPad Mini with Retina) tablet that's lightweight, easy on the eyes, and lasts for days at a charge (unless I'm watching movies). I want a phone that fits comfortably in one hand so I can swipe easily, or read, or surf the web one handed if my daughter has fallen asleep on my other arm.

While iOS 8 adds widgets to iOS, it doesn't add them anywhere useful. Instead, it puts them in the already cluttered notification center. Considering how clean and neat everything else looks with Apple design, it's like the notification center was an afterthought that nobody cared enough about to make useful.

I'm already having some withdrawal symptoms from the Apple ecosystem, but I have to keep telling myself not to be trapped because of all the stuff I have tied into Apple right now.

First of all, most of my documents and the like I've moved off iCloud and into OneDrive where I can manage my folders, keep nested folders, and have access to everything both online and offline. I also have a terabyte of storage in OneDrive, as opposed to the 5gigs I get through iCloud. It should be noted that I am paying for Microsoft 365 monthly, but it's totally worth it for the extra storage and built in features.

Unlike Apple, Microsoft supports alternate operating systems. For example, both iOS and Android have OneDrive applications while iCloud is only available through the Mac.

I will also have office available on my Moto X as well as on my iPad and laptop, so I feel no need to make use of anything else.

I have never been much of a gamer, but there are plenty of games on Android to keep me entertained. I find as I get older, I want to spend my time on electronic devices being productive instead of entertained.

I may be a bad human, in that regard.

Hopefully this doesn't ramble on too much - it's late an I'm tired.

I'll be sure to post more as I get my bearings on the Moto X.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Motorola Nightmare

Frustration

Real World Review of the Surface Laptop Studio