Windows 8.1 Advancement

While my initial experiment failed on me, having a MacBook Pro with Retina Display has afforded me the ability to run both Windows and Mac on the same machine. To provide myself with the best possible experience, I've been working on a Boot Camp partition so that I don't run into any issues that may arise out of the use of virtual machines.

Many of the gripes I have with Windows 8.1 still stand, however the advancements in recent updates and the changes that are scheduled for future updates give me some kind of hope for the future of Windows.

I'm currently using Windows 8.1 on a system that doesn't have a touch enabled display. This is, for the most part, an excellent experience. If I could make one change, it would be to the Apple Trackpad Driver. I wish it was more integrated with Windows 8.1. I've found a couple of tools that will make the trackpad work more effectively, however they always install bloatware right along with the drivers and I hate bloatware.

I'm actually starting to dig a little on the Start screen now that I've figured out a way to use it that makes sense to me. In some ways, it's faster than the old Start button, though the Start button did provide some additional tools that were quite handy. I recently discovered that some of these tools are available in Windows 8.1 by right clicking the start button. Notably, the Run command is right there in the list.

I have the Start Screen separated out into various categories. The first category I've named "Start." This category is the first one on the left when you enter the Start Screen. This is where I've put all the various applications that I use the most and like to have quick access to. While many of these applications are also pinned to the Task Bar, not all of them are. I like to keep a neat and organized Task Bar.

Speaking of which, while poorly integrated, the ability to get to the Task Bar from Windows 8.1 interface applications is incredibly useful as is the addition of an X out button in the upper right corner.

The next group I have is Productivity, followed by Art (I am a photographer), followed by Entertainment, News, and then Games.

While it's taken some time to set up the Start Screen the way I like it, it has ultimately become something useful. I don't spend a whole lot of time on the Start Screen - it's literally a quick way for me to get to the applications I need.

Also, with Apple having abandoned Aperture and forcing me to move my workflow to Lightroom (where I've seen the light - ha ha), my Apple specific Applications are dwindling to a point where I'm not feeling as married to the OS, nor am I as enthralled with the Apple OS as I have been.

From a technical standpoint, the Mac Operating System is truly wonderful the ability to make use of POSIX is a huge boon. The fact that it sits on top of a UNIX kernel makes it incredibly stable.

That said, the kernel that Microsoft designed for Windows 8.1 is incredibly stable. I've had fewer crashes in 8.1 than I've had in any previous version of Windows.

One improvement that Microsoft should consider making is finding a single interface for system settings. The fact that there are two different locations to set system settings is a little puzzling.

But aside from that, I'm enjoying making use of Windows these days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Motorola Nightmare

Frustration

Real World Review of the Surface Laptop Studio